I’m too lazy to write anything coherent, and there’s nothing particularly new to report anyway, so here are some stream-of-consciousness ramblings. I can’t promise they’re all relevant to this blog’s usual subject matter.
- Kobe Bryant was named Western Conference Player of the Week, with Lebron James picking up the Eastern Conference nod. MVP race, anyone?
- Good piece over at the LA Times Lakers Blog about why the Lakers should be hoping for a first round match-up with Dallas. The main argument is that we match up well with them, with Gasol guarding Nowitzki and no one to pick up Pau. It doesn’t hold up quite as well if Josh Howard is healthy, because the small backcourt advantage can be neutralized, but they still make some good points. I think the biggest reason we would want to see the Mavs in the playoffs is because we own them psychologically. And because I love to see that sad clown look on their Neanderthal coach’s face when we beat them. Poor little millionaire.
- Buying a house is way too involved a process. I can’t really complain because we have a bomb real estate agent helping us along, but the whole system feels like it’s set up to trap you in some legal hole that you didn’t see coming. And we wonder how we got into this real estate mess…
- Barcelona should sign Diego Lopez. I know they’re making overtures to Chelsea for Petr Cech and they certainly do need to upgrade their current model, but they don’t need to go too far to find a suitable replacement keeper. I saw some amazing stuff from two Diegos in goal this weekend – Atletico’s Lopez and Almeria’s Alves – both of whom looked sprightly and assured between the pipes. Their confidence in securing dangerous balls and their athleticism in making amazing stops were in stark contrast to the uneasiness you feel when the ball approaches Valdes in the box. He’s decent enough, but for that team he just doesn’t cut it, especially when you make the inevitable comparison to his Real Madrid counterpart. Then again, no one holds very well in that test.
- The-Dream’s new album “Love vs. Money” is really fucking good. For the first time in 2009 there are finally multiple albums coming out (and/or leaking, I won’t specify which) that I want to hear, but I can’t get to them because I am so stuck on this new Dream shit. This man has some kind of Midas touch. His songwriting is so good I even like the track with Mariah on it. And don’t even get me started on all the hilarious one-liners on here. My favorite changes daily, but right now I’m stuck on, “I’m all up on you like a white tee on a thug.” Or maybe, “Your body’s the cup, my body’s the coffee, and I’m brewin’ it, while we’re doin’ it, to Kelly’s 12 Play.” He works his formula for all it’s worth (“ella, ella, eh, eh”), but it never gets old. He can brew my coffee any day.
- Is there a better name in all of sports than Simao Sabrosa? I just can’t get over that one. And with his scintillating free kicks, the names feels so appropriate, which makes it even better. The thing that gets me is that he goes by “Simao,” which appears on his jersey. If any of my names was Sabrosa, I would refuse to be called anything else. I would’ve been that obnoxious kid during roll call. Substitute: “Simao?” Me: “Sabrosa, please. Thanks.”
And I’m spent. Off to enjoy some Easter candy that probably won’t make it to Easter. Till the 76ers tomorrow.